Although California has paid sick leave and minimum wage laws, San Diego voters have added to it. Effective 7/11/2016, all sizes of businesses must now offer up to 40 hours of paid sick leave and $10.50 in minimum wage to any employee doing work within the San Diego city limits.
The challenge will be for those of you with employees who are in and out of the city and trying to track time versus location. You’ll need to decide if you want to put the time and effort into that administrative nightmare or just plan to meet the law’s standards for all your employees or at least any field employees.
San Diego Minimum Wage:
Minimum wage for employees working within the San Diego city limits is now $10.50 per hour. On 1/1/2017, this increases to $11.50 per hour.
San Diego Paid Sick Leave:
• Amount of paid sick leave: You can limit usage to 40 hours per year.
• Methods of earning paid sick leave: (1) Front-load the 40 hours or (2) accrue 1 hour of paid sick leave per 30 hours worked.
• Accrual cap: Cap accrual at 80 Hours, if using the accrual method.
• Eligibility: Employees earn paid sick leave from thedate of hire but cannot use any until they’ve been employed for 90 days.
• Sick leave pay: You pay employees at the hourly rate they would have earned if they had not been sick that day.
Employees will have unlimited sick time if you do not have a written (and compliant) sick leave policy in place. Save money by having employees sign off on your policy and tracking sick leave accruals and use.
About Your Columnist
CJ Westrick is a featured columnist for Women Taking Charge, the official blog of Connected Women of Influence, where she covers all things human resources and managing people in the workplace. CJ Westrick, SPHR, has been in human resources (HR) management for over 20 years and has maintained her SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) national certification since 2002. She started HR Jungle, a human resources consulting firm, in 2006 to provide senior-level HR expertise to businesses without internal HR.
Interested in Joining Us at a Future Event?!
Interested in Becoming a Valued Member of Our Professional Community!?